Into My Mind

Monday, April 11, 2005

...........I heart the Red Sawx...................

Almost two years ago, I experienced my first heartbreak and to say the least, it was devastating. From that day on, I promised myself that I would never, EVER fall in love again. A couple of months later, for some reason that is still unbeknownst to me, I watched the American League Championship Series. As much as I tried not to, I became captivated and obsessed with the Old Towne Team. During the infamous game 3, I stopped living in denial with myself and accepted the truth; I had fallen in love with the Red Sox.


Before discovering and falling for these “idiots”, I wasn’t a fan of sports in general. My parents came to Boston over twenty-four years ago and they were too preoccupied with raising a family to worry about sports. So, unlike many of the citizens of Red Sox Nation, I wasn’t brought up as a Red Sox fan. As I got older, I actually pitied my fellow citizens and believed that they were mentally unstable. Of course, I was young, meaning that I was a complete fool, not an idiot, a fool! However, I am proud to say that I have passed down my love for the Sox to my niece. This wonderful gift will continue to be passed down from generation to generation; I say that with the utmost confidence or more appropriately, FAITH!


I absolutely love my bunch of “idiots”! They are all so talented, free spirited and they're just so entertaining. Their haircuts and facial is not a sign of disrespect towards the game, it's just hair! There's nothing deep about it, my boys just like wearing their hair the way that they want. What's with all the dramatics? Oddly enough, it is mostly men who make such a big deal about hair, chill out guys and stop getting your briefs in a bunch. It's not as if the organization forbids it and the players are purposely going against them. I love how this organization encourages self-expression and they know what baseball is, A GAME!

I was glued to NESN all day and I enjoyed the entire five hours! I thought the ceremonies were wonderful, it was great to see Derek Lowe, and Dave Roberts again. I would have liked to to see Pedro there but I wasn't surprised that he wasn't a no show (I love him but he can be such a drama queen sometimes). My heart went out to all the soldiers who were on the field and to Johnny Pesky, I couldn't help but to shed a little tear for them. It was great to see the individuals that they chose to throw the first pitch (Tedy B. is looking good).

Wakefield was great at the plate and words cannot describe how much I love Dougie! Renteria had his first hit in a Sox uniform and he got a well-deserved standing ovation from the Fenway Faithful. The win was a great way to end such a wonderful day for Red Sox Nation.

Concerning the Yankees, I thought it was pretty classy of them to watch the entire ceremony from the dugout instead staying in the clubhouse. I applaud Joe Torre and the rest of guys for doing that. And, I will also commend most of the Fenway Faithful for not booing Joe Torre because he is a great manager. I couldn't help but laugh with Mariano Rivera when he was given a standing ovation by the Fenway Faithful. He was a good sport!

Just to clarify, I am a die hard Sox fan and I do not like the Yankees, but I do respect them. No, I do not think that they suck because I (unlike some fans) am not blind when it comes to talent. I give kudos to the Yankee fans who accepted the heartbreaking reality of the 2004 ALCS instead of those who chose to be denial and spew such harsh words. It sucks being on the losing team and having to eat a huge piece of humble pie but please, do it graciously even if some of my fellow RS citizens incessantly gloat. The Yankees are (despite their outrageous payroll and their owner) are a CLASS organization and having a couple of delusional fans doesn't help boast a classy image. Also, as Sox fans we've had to be the losing team for 86 years and frankly, it nice not having to eat any of that crusty pie anymore!

Anyway, I can't wait to see how things turn out this year and like the rest of Red Sox Nation, we can't until we see you guys in the post season!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home